Are you eligible to apply for Associate Membership?
A. You have completed a Bachelor or Master degree in landscape architecture – Persons who possess a bachelor or master of landscape architecture degree from an institution recognized by OALA are eligible to apply for Associate status immediately upon graduation. To learn more about recognized degrees and education requirements, please review page 6 of Section 7.2 of the OALA Handbook: Education Requirements.
B. You have completed other education – Persons who possess other related degrees, diplomas, and who have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional landscape architectural experience (post-graduation from the related degree), are eligible to apply for Associate status.
Path to OALA Full Membership
To apply for Associate membership, candidates will: Applications for November Examining Board due November 3rd
- Submit a completed application form with the required documentation and fees as outlined on the application form. Please note: if an application for associate membership is submitted in the same year of graduation from University, the $70 +HST (79.10) PDP application fees are waived. (OALA membership dues are payable by all members.)
1.1For Option B (other education) ONLY: You will submit a report that outlines the landscape architecture experience gained over the 4+ years. Applicants may refer to the PDP Summary Experience Chart in the OALA Handbook to see the list of experience areas the Board will assess.
- Have the endorsement of one OALA Full Member.
- Have current employment in the field.
- Have an advisor who is a Full Member of OALA (with a minimum 4 years’ as a full member).
Note: Your advisor may also sign as an endorser on the application.
Candidates who meet these eligibility requirements will be accepted by the Association as Associate members. They will be assigned a minimum two year period in the OALA’s Professional Development Program (PDP).
Process for application
To begin the application process, please sign up for an OALA member account.
All applications are reviewed by the Examining Board which meets six times per year in January, March, May, June, September and November.
Associates are eligible to apply for Full Membership upon:
- Completion of the professional development program;
- Completion of the Independent Course of Study (ICS) on Ontario legislation and professional practice;
- Passing a minimum of three sections of the Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE).
Please review the OALA Handbook for further details.
Suggestions for your Search for an Advisor
Some applicants have asked how to find an advisor. Here are a few suggestions.
Basics – what does the advisor do?: Your advisor will support you during your PDP to ensure you gain experience in the main areas of landscape architecture for Ontario. In addition, your advisor will ensure you are aware of local regulations to ensure your designs will ensure the safety and welfare of the public.
Advisor requirements: Your advisor must be an OALA Full Member with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience as a full member.
Suggestions to find an advisor
1. Check in your workplace for Full Members of OALA.
2. Check the OALA job board often. We list new opportunities on an ongoing basis. These firms normally have landscape architects working there – and many are eligible to act as advisors
3. Contact OALA Full Members that are doing work that interests you (yes, you should do the research first.) Use our Member Directory to search by member name or firm.
4. Try to attend OALA or other professional social or educational events.
Information you want to have on hand for your search
Just like a regular job search, you want to present yourself to your advisor. We suggest you have a one page outline along with your CV. You should include the following on your quick summary page:
- Your name and contact information
- Degree type (eg. BLA, MLA) and university
- Year you received your degree
- City or area where you are working/hope to work
- Years of experience in landscape architecture (if any)
- Main area (s) of interest
- Any experience – short explanation
If you need support finding an advisor, please submit the information above to the OALA Registrar by email: [email protected]
The Registrar keeps a list of Associates looking for advisors and has a general call for volunteers. The Registrar will provide the above noted information to any members who offer to volunteer as advisors and will ask the OALA Full Member to contact the applicant.