Are you eligible to apply for Associate Membership?
1. You have completed a Bachelor or Master degree in landscape architecture – Persons who possess a bachelor or master of landscape architecture degree from an institution recognized by OALA are eligible to apply for associate status immediately upon graduation. To learn more about recognized degrees and education requirements, please review EDUCATION on pp 6 of Section 7.2 of the OALA Handbook: Education Requirements.
2. You have completed Other education – Persons who possess other related degrees, diplomas, and who have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional landscape architectural experience (post-graduation from the related degree), are eligible to apply for associate status.
To apply for Associate membership, candidates will: Applications for June Examining Board due June 2nd
Candidates who meet these eligibility requirements will be accepted by the Association as associate members. They will be assigned a minimum two year period in the OALA’s Professional Development Program (PDP).
To begin the application process, please sign up for an OALA member account.
All applications are reviewed by the Examining Board which meets six times per year in January, March, May, June, September and November. Please consult the OALA Events Calendar to find the next Examining Board date. All applications should be submitted to the Registrar prior to that date.
Associates are eligible to apply for Full Membership upon:
Please review the OALA Handbook for further details.
Some applicants have asked how to find an advisor. Here are a few suggestions.
Basics – what does the advisor do?: Your advisor will support you during your PDP to ensure you gain experience in the main areas of landscape architecture for Ontario. In addition, your advisor will ensure you are aware of local regulations to ensure your designs will ensure the safety and welfare of the public.
Advisor requirements: Your advisor must be an OALA Full Member with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience as a full member.
1. Check in your workplace for full members of the OALA.
2. Check the OALA Jobs page often. We list new opportunities on an ongoing basis. These firms normally have landscape architects working there – and many are eligible to act as advisors
3. Contact OALA Full Members that are doing work that interests you (yes, you should do the research first.) All Full Members are listed on the OALA Website. You may search by member name, or look to find firms with full members near you through the Company Search on the website.
4. Try to attend OALA or other professional social or educational events.
Just like a regular job search, you want to present yourself to your advisor. We suggest you have a one page outline along with your CV . You should include the following on your quick summary page:
If you have the information above you may submit it to the OALA Registrar by email: [email protected]
The Registrar keeps a list of Associates looking for advisors and has a general call for volunteers. The Registrar will provide the above noted information to any members who offer to volunteer as advisors and will ask the OALA Full Member to contact the applicant.