By-laws Review Task Force
Join the OALA By-laws Review Task Force
OALA Council is seeking 3-5 volunteers to join a Task Force to review the current OALA By-laws for compliance with the Ontario Not-for-profit Corporations Act, 2010 (ONCA) and provide recommendations to update where necessary. Much of the existing By-laws were written in the infancy of the organization and in some situations, OALA has outgrown the need for certain clauses contained in the By-laws.
The Task Force will be responsible for:
- ensuring alignment of By-laws with ONCA,
- drafting recommendations based on best practices with aligned associations,
- recommending revisions related to grammar & syntax, removing redundancies, and establishing hierarchies (e.g. By-laws vs policies and regulations).
Project Timelines and Term
Review By-laws – February to May
Review final revisions – End of June
Review member feedback – Fall
Council approval of revised By-laws - Fall
Revised By-laws approval - November
While this project is due to be completed by November 2023, we anticipate this task force will evolve into a standing committee that will review By-law questions as needed.
Task Force Member Qualifications
- Full or Associate membership in the OALA is required
- Understanding of the OALA Code of Ethics is required
- Understanding of the OALA By-laws is required
- Current or previous participation in one or more OALA committees or task force
- Strong research skills
- Association or connections with proponent and allied organizations
- Diverse experience and an interest in the ongoing evolution and growth of the profession
- An understanding of Roberts Rules of Order considered an asset
- Understanding of ONCA is an asset
Benefits of the position:
- Be recognized as a member who has helped shape the future of the organization and advancing the profession
- Be energized and rewarded while giving back to your Association
- Develop new skills in policy writing and organizational governance
- Gain Mandatory Continuing Education (MCE) credits
How to apply
All interested volunteers are invited to submit their expression of interest by completing the application form. Please reply by January 31, 2023.
Vice President, OALA